Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yes, Print is Dead

And I'm not upset at all, seeing as to how I've been waiting 10 weeks for my ESPN Magazine subscription to arrive at my apartment. Why does it take so long for you to get your first issue of a magazine? Good riddance.

But I digress. The reason print is dead is because news is even more of a commodity now than it was before the advent of tools like Twitter. When is the last time you read a game recap story in the newspaper? By the time it's written up in the paper, I already know exactly what happened and who scored what. If I'm looking at live game scores and a player gets taken out, I can search Twitter for injury updates immediately, instead of waiting for a wire update. Newspapers should focus on the one thing they do well - investigative stories that I wouldn't have known to look for.

No comments:

ShareThis