Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Plea to Old Fogies

Please don't ever retire.


I'll come right out and say it - I hope Brett Favre plays another season. Two or three, even. Not because I particularly like him, but he's the last remaining skill position player in the NFL who was playing at the time that I really started following sports, around 1991 or 1992. Once the entire league turns over completely, I'll officially be old. And you know those annoying old guys who are always like, "Well in my opinion, nobody holds a candle to Otto Graham," and you kind of roll your eyes and regret that anyone ever invented Social Security? I've become that guy! The other day I was lamenting that I miss the days of less flashy, more fundamental basketball with Michael Jordan and John Stockton.

But as long as SOMEONE from 1992 is still playing, I still feel like I'm young. But these guys are dropping like flies.

MLB: We've got Jamie Moyer, Matt Stairs, Omar Vizquel (who is hitting .289!), Tim Wakefield and Jim Thome.
NFL: Favre (maybe), Matt Turk, John Kasay
NBA: Shaquille O'Neal
NHL: Mark Recchi, Mathieu Schneider, Teemu Selanne, Robert Lang, Doug Weight, Mike Modano, Adam Foote, and a whole bunch of other defensemen.

Now get off my lawn!

No comments:

ShareThis