Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Rejection Therapy: OKCupid

All right, so I hate rejection. Hate it. I guess nobody really likes it, but few take it as hard as I do.

I ran across this Bloomberg story the other day about a guy who goes around filming himself asking outrageous requests of people in the hopes of accumulating 100 total rejections and thereby desensitizing himself to it. What a great idea! I used to be terrified of public speaking, but after an...immersion therapy of sorts, it doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I sort of enjoy it.

So, in the interest of self-improvement for the new year, I've decided to do something similar. I don't have time to film myself in public (plus the guy is Asian so I'd just be a copycat anyway), so I needed to find a way to a) quickly expose myself to a wide array of people, and b) make the stakes genuinely high (i.e., no applying to 100 nuclear physicist jobs because I know they'd never hire me and I have no emotional skin in the game). Then it hit me: OKCupid - it's perfect. It's free, it's fast, and as long as I make a genuine effort to write sincere messages to women I think I'd truly like, all rejections are core repudiations of my personality and/or physical appearance, for maximum burn. Nice!

Operational guidelines:
I. A "rejection" will be counted if:
a) Three days have passed after an initial message with no response
b) At any point in correspondence, gal in question bails, never to be seen again
c) A response is received but is negative in tone or content*
d) I get to count the ten I've already amassed

*Judges' rulings are final.

Edit: I can't even find 100 women I want to contact, so I'm paring this down to 50. Even that's going to be a challenge, once you take out the angry chicks, cat lovers, and Jews (I actually love Jewish women. Love 'em. But when have you ever seen a Jewish girl and an Asian guy? Never, that's when), there are like three people left.


   

No comments:

ShareThis