Thursday, September 10, 2009

Superman, Thy Name is Troy Polamalu. And Fix Overtime.

The guy is simply amazing. The man hits like a linebacker but flies around the field with the speed and quickness of a cornerback. Also nice to see a big game from Santonio Holmes, I guy I reluctantly picked for one of my fantasy teams. I have terrible luck with wide receivers, so I start as few as humanly possible--I've seen too many 2 reception/20 yard games to rely on them too heavily.

With that said, I don't care what Cris Collinsworth thinks; sudden death overtime is a stupid idea. About 60% of overtime games are won by the coin toss winner, which is obviously way too high. And for the record, there are many more ideas than just giving both teams equal possessions, even though that's usually the straw man John Clayton or any other senile old fogey pulls out and sets on fire.

The issue to me (and the reason, presumably, the coin toss winner wins the game more often), is that it's too damn easy to just kick a field goal. The average starting field position is about the 27 yard line (I suppose you'd have to take out the touchdown returns for this argument, so let's say 25, conservatively), and you'll probably have a good field goal shot at around your opponent's 30. That's only 45 yards you have to go to win the game. Even the Lions could do that.

Ideas I thought up to fix overtime (Eat your heart out, John Clayton):
1. Keep everything the same, but disallow field goals - I like it, though I realize the average overtime game might drag on pretty long.
2. If receiving team A scores TD, game over. If team A kicks a field goal, team B gets possession. If team B scores a TD, they win, if they kick a field goal, possession switches back again - Similar to 1., but potentially can end faster.
3. Give the winner of the coin toss the choice of either starting possession at their own 10 yard line or defending the opponent taking possession at their 10 yard line - My favorite! Should be some real fireworks with this one.

No comments:

ShareThis