Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Show Pitch: Thin

I was watching TV the other day and I saw a commercial for a show ("Huge") devoted entirely to fatness. Is that really necessary? For a while I sympathized about the prejudices faced by fat people, but now I'm not sympathetic, because EVERYONE IS FAT NOW. A whopping 68% of Americans over 20 are either overweight or obese. So who exactly is prejudiced against you? That's like complaining about discrimination against white people in Iceland.

Now a show about being skinny, that's an idea that's just waiting to pop. Because being skinny isn't all rainbows and unicorns. It's hard to buy clothes that are cut for fat people. Contact sports at the collegiate level aren't really an option if you weigh under 150 pounds. I can't wear most watches because they look like sundials hanging off my wrist, which is frequently described as "dainty."

I did gain about 5 or 6 pounds in college from forcing myself to eat when I was already full and drinking liquid meals for snacks, but that got to be so burdensome that I went back to eating when I wanted to eat and I dropped back to my natural weight. The truth is, men are supposed to be fat, and every time someone tells me I need to eat more, I feel like less of one.

No comments:

ShareThis