Thursday, December 02, 2010

How to Get the Best Recommendation From Your Professor

In my tenure as a university professor (and I apply the term "professor" to myself in the same manner as the WWE calls itself "wrestling"), I occasionally got requests for recommendations to various programs and institutions. With just one exception, I was always glad to do it; it gives me a fair amount of pleasure to give something back in a tangible way to students who work hard. Or even students who don't work hard but at least make me laugh once in while.

But it surprises me how frequently students fail to maximize this aspect of their applications. Granted, I doubt most recommendations carry that much weight, but it takes very little extra work to make sure that they are sterling testaments to your aptitude and work ethic.

1. Give Them Lots of Time: At LEAST three to four weeks. I once had a student ask me to write a recommendation that was due the next day. Sorry. It's one thing if, say, you just found a program you never knew existed and the due date just happens to be the next day...and I like you as a person. But sending an e-mail at 10 pm that reads something like "yo i wuz wonderin if u could rite me a recommendation its due 2morrow and i need someone who can rite one fast," and I don't even remember what you look like because you only attend enough classes to barely maintain your C- average, well, that's another thing altogether.

2. Be Courteous: Your recommenders are, naturally, on your side. But they'll be more on your side if you act as if they are doing you a favor, which they are. Say please, say thank you, and for God's sake, put a stamp on the mailing envelope!

3. Choose Your Recommender Wisely: I generally get the impression that the sole criterion for students in choosing a recommender pretty much boils down to determining who is the nicest professor you have. And that could be good, but it's usually not. Depending on the program, sometimes you should pick your most renowned professor, otherwise pick the person who will make you sound the best.

I know, obvious, but here's my take: if your grades are stellar, but you never talk in class and never speak to me personally, I can write you a pretty good recommendation. If your grades are okay but not top notch but you amaze the class with your wit and clarity of thought, I can write you a pretty good recommendation. If you combine both outstanding grades with insightful questions and thought-provoking comments, I can write you a dazzling recommendation that befits your stupendous intellectual achievements.

4. Make it Easy to Say Something Good About You: Finally, just like in resume-writing, examples rule. I hate having to write something like "Jill is really smart," because a) that's what everyone writes, and b) vague, unsupported statements just aren't that compelling. I like to write of specific things that students have said or done, especially the things that really surprised me (in a good way, of course). But sometimes, even when the aforementioned statement is really true, I don't have any examples, or I don't remember.

So when you're handing over the application guideline packet, throw in some other stuff too, like work you've done that you're really proud of, even if it's for other classes. Since it's material you've already completed, you don't lose a whole lot, even if none of it is read. But I would surmise that most of your professors would appreciate having something to refer to.

No comments:

ShareThis