Thursday, March 12, 2009

Perennially Overdrafted Guys

Every year I see these guys drafted way sooner than they should be (in fact, I picked one of them):

Ichiro - This kills me, because Ichiro is my favorite player. But I have never once had the chance to acquire him, because he ALWAYS goes much higher than he should. I've even seen him picked in the second round! He's done some incredible things in his career, but that doesn't really change the fact that he's basically Juan Pierre with a little more power and a higher batting average but fewer steals.

Jon Papelbon - Was the 25th(!) pick in one of my leagues last year. Outside of the questionable decision of devoting an early third round pick to a guy who's not even going make a huge impact on the bottom line with a paltry 70 innings of work, I daresay ANYONE who picks a closer this early has neither the resulting team nor the brains to succeed that year. Verily, it came to pass.

Barry Zito - Look, I know the guy won a Cy Young and banged Alyssa Milano, but that was like ages ago. (Who in the league didn't bang Alyssa Milano? I wonder if it was weird when Brad Penny was being caught by Russell Martin, that should have been super awkward. "Hey, throw a fastball inside. Oh, and thanks for the burning sensation when I pee.")

Derek Jeter - At this point in his career, he's pretty much Placido Polanco, only a very expensive Placido Polanco.

Michael Young - At this point in his career, he's pretty much Placido Polanco, only a pretty expensive Placido Polanco.

Freddy Sanchez - At this point in his career, he's pretty much Placido Polanco, only a slightly expensive Placido Polanco.

Promotional considerations for this blog post provided in part by: Placido Polanco

No comments:

ShareThis