Wednesday, November 24, 2010

All Right, I'll Say It: Gran Turismo is Boring.

Let's get one thing out of the way first: I love cars. I love driving them and I love tinkering with them. Naturally, I've bought all the Gran Turismo games since #3, including GT5 today. But something's been bugging me for a while, and I just have to get it off my chest. I enjoy collecting the cars and tuning them, but let's face it - the actual racing in the series is incredibly dull. There isn't really a great sense of speed and the physics of your car sort of approximate a giant block of lead in a bowl of pudding. You can ram another car at full speed and you both sort of just stop. And the new "damage" modeling is a joke; you crash into the wall at 100 MPH and the seam between your hood and chassis sort of widens a little. Winning a race isn't so much about making aggressive moves as it is driving cautiously and avoiding mistakes. Realistic, yeah, but if I want to drive at 40 MPH and avoid the guardrails, I can do that in my own damn car.

I think part of the reason GT5 is so underwhelming is because Forza has gotten so good. It has fewer cars but seems to be a little more fun and less stodgy and rigid about what you can and can't do. There are many more cars in GT but 99% of them are 8,000 variations of the Subaru Impreza or Honda Civic.

So why did I buy GT5? Because I *thought* it would have my car in it. It does have my car model, but only the hatchback version and not the sedan, which I have, because I hate hatchbacks. They look like toy cars.

No comments:

ShareThis