Thursday, November 11, 2010

Is a computer that speaks English too much to ask for?

About once or twice a year my computer goes on a BSOD crashing spree where I can't keep the machine running for even a day without at least one crash. Past some rudimentary software/driver troubleshooting, I'm too lazy to find out what's causing the crash, so I've always taken that opportunity to simply replace the innards of my computer. Problem solved! But lately, I've been more conscious of saving money (haven't we all?) and so I've kept my system mostly unchanged for a while. But now my machine is acting up again and I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue.

I prefer to replace only the component which is causing the problems, but unfortunately, when my computer crashes, it spits out incomprehensible shit like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL," "The BIOS in this system is not ACPI compliant," or my favorite, "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT." You seriously might as well throw up an error that says "COMPUTER_WENT_DOWN_LIKE_$3_HOOKER," because that would be about equally helpful as what I normally get.

But seriously, what's so hard about making the messages more descriptive? Something like I WAS TRYING TO RETRIEVE SOMETHING FROM THE RAM MODULE AND IT SENT BACK A LOT OF FUCKED UP SHIT AND I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO SO I CRASHED MYSELF AND NEXT TIME SPEND MORE MONEY ON THAT PART YOU CHEAP FUCK

Now that's actionable!

2 comments:

Blay said...

I've got the same problem since today ! And i've no idea of where it comes from. Do you have too Windows 7 ? If you may find an answer to the problem, i would be glad to know it ! *mark this page*

Eugene said...

I do have Windows 7...unfortunately, these error messages could really mean anything. I would recommend checking your RAM with Memtest86+ first - more often than not, it's the RAM at fault, at least in my experience. Good luck!

ShareThis