Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Goodbye iPhone, Hello Droid Charge

I had already dabbled in Android with the Evo 4G last year, before deeming it unacceptable overall. I went with the more polished iPhone 4, which I have to admit has been a pretty good phone when you don't touch the bare drop-your-call-immediately corner. The battery life and call quality are really good. It looks stylish, everything works and iOS has a lot of developer support. It's just so...bland. You can't even change your SMS or email tones. A lot of people in my office have the iPhone 4 and when we get emails or our calendar alerts go off, they all sound exactly the same; the office sounds like the Carol of the Bells with everyone dinging the same note. Wasn't this the company that told you to "Think Different"?

In contrast, I love Android's customizability. I love that you can play Super Nintendo games and change all the system fonts to kiddie scribble fonts. So much freedom! Sure, you'll accumulate viruses like a freshman chick in a frat house, but hey...you gotta live once in a while.

So I had been meaning to switch to Verizon (because Verizon has the best service on the Metro, which I take every day), but I got lazy and never did. However, when the news broke that Verizon was cutting off unlimited data on July 7, I had to get on board, because I use tons of data. It's now or never! Yes, I am only halfway through my contract with AT&T, but who cares? They'll charge me an exorbitant ETF and we'll all move on with our lives.

So I opted for the Droid Charge. It's not perfect. I'm not even sure it's *good* yet. But what I CAN say is...wow:

P1020238

The iPhone is reporting in Mbps and the Charge in Kbps, but the difference is still remarkable.

No comments:

ShareThis