Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Best Name in College Basketball...or the Universe?

I've written before about the previous best name in college basketball, (formerly) Alabama State's Chief Kickingstallionsims, but I just saw the other day that the St. John's basketball team is the proud home of:


Now, it's worth noting that a name like "Nathan" also means God's gift, and I'm sure there is some other cultural variant I'm not familiar with. Regardless, I like this trend of parsing out the true meanings of names. "William" means, strangely, Will/Desire + Helmet. A perfect basketball name, Willdesirehelmet.

Anyway, aside from his name, the strangest part is that this guy might actually be able to play basketball. Granted, his season opener was against my Tribe - whose roster LOOKS like Butler's, but they don't play like Butler; I've never seen a W&M player dunk, ever - but 17 points on 6-11 shooting and 5-7 from the stripe, 9 boards, and 1 block might mean he's more than just a curiosity.

No comments:

ShareThis