Sunday, November 06, 2011

Jesus Has Come Back, and He is Tim Tebow


I have to admit, I have never been as fascinated with a player as I have with Tim Tebow (Kurt Warner is close, but still #2). This guy looks fucking terrible. He has the worst footwork I've ever seen in my life, his release is weird and slow (unlike Philip Rivers' release, which is weird and quick), and he's not even a particularly fast runner. But somehow he puts up scores and wins games. It is rare that I switch from NFL RedZone to an actual network game broadcast, but I did today to watch all of the Broncos' possessions.

He is unquestionably the most exciting player to watch, because you have no idea what the fuck he's going to do. He can drill Eric Decker in stride. He can break two tackles and rip off a 15 yard run. He can launch a wobbly duck straight to nobody or a laser directly into the ground. You just never know what's going to happen on a given play, but the end result is inexplicably usually positive. Despite the many passes he throws that make you think "How is this guy playing in the best football league in the world," in his 3.5 games he's thrown 6 TDs and only been picked off once. Huh.   

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of guys who stink and still win games. Like Kyle Orton in 2005. Or Rex Grossman every year. But nobody does it quite like Tebow.

But that's not why I'm comparing him to Jesus, no. Not for anything he does on the field. No, I compare him to Jesus because he somehow got through four years at the University of Florida as their starting quarterback and exited a virgin. When you're the STARTING QUARTERBACK AT THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA, surrounded by this every single day of the week and you never even accidentally bang one of them...that is fucking Jesus-level willpower. I find that extraordinary. And I really admire that kind of commitment. 

No comments:

ShareThis