Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Time to Fire Congress and Replace Them With Zappos

I don't buy a lot of shoes, and I've certainly never bought them online prior to a few days ago. It just never seemed worth the potential hassle of having to return a pair that didn't look like you'd expect or didn't fit well. One aspect of my job that I enjoy is reading about how other businesses run and market their products, and Zappos flew onto my radar about a year or so ago. If you remember, at the time they offered free overnight shipping on every order (which has since ended, though a lot of orders go out overnight anyway) and offered new employee trainees a flat $2,000 to quit after a week of training.

Well I finally broke down and ordered a couple pairs of shoes from Zappos, and the speed with which they process and ship orders is phenomenal. I ordered at 10 p.m. on Monday and it arrived the next day! I'm not entirely sure at this point how that was even possible. I think you pay a little bit of a premium buying from Zappos, but I have to say, it's money well spent. I really can't imagine shopping online for shoes anywhere else. The last time I ordered anything from Gap they didn't even bother to send me an order confirmation for a day.

The point is, Zappos should be running our country. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised with the speed of progress...for once.

No comments:

ShareThis