Thursday, February 05, 2009

Best. Fantasy Team. Ever.

Every year I joke that if in the middle of the season, if I'm just too far back to ever catch up, then I will dump all my players and create the ultimate theme fantasy squad. Usually I throw out Team Asia (every roster spot filled by an Asian guy) or Team Carlos (every roster spot filled by a Carlos). Today I actually wondered if I could make those whole teams and if they'd be any good. Let's take a look:

Team Asia:

1B: -
2B: Kaz Matsui
SS: Chin Lung Hu
3B: Akinori Iwamura
C: Kenji Johjima
OF: Ichiro
OF: Hideki Matsui
OF: Shin Soo Choo
Flex: Kosuke Fukudome
SP: Daisuke Matsuzaka
SP: Chien Ming Wang
SP: Hiroki Kuroda
RP: Hong Chih Kuo
RP: Takashi Saito

Not a bad team (if a bit power-deficient), though I admit that it was harder filling out the slots than I expected. It's too bad Hee Seop Choi left the league; I was hoping to flesh out a full squad and just fell a 1B short. As one would expect, the depth of pitching far exceeds positional depth.

Team Carlos:

1B: Carlos Pena
2B: -
SS: -
3B: Carlos Guillen
C: Carlos Ruiz
OF: Carlos Beltran
OF: Carlos Lee
OF: Carlos Quentin
Flex: Carlos Delgado
SP: Carlos Zambrano
SP: Carlos Silva
SP: -
RP: Carlos Villanueva
RP: Carlos Marmol

Now that is a damn good team! The pitching/positional balance tips over to the other side here. But one thing's for sure: you could win any league in the country with a team of just Asians and Carloses.

2 comments:

dg said...

i'll take team carlos over team asia (i don't think you want to own hiroki kuroda under ANY circumstances... even if the criteria "unreliable asian pitchers" because then he'll throw a one hitter).

keep it up

Eugene said...

As would I, you could even opt for Carlos Gomez and make up for some steals...

ShareThis