Sunday, February 08, 2009

Boy, Baseball is a Mess

And I thought that even before the A-Rod revelations came out. It was a little surprising to me that he was on the juice, because he's always been so lean. But then again, THIS guy was named in the Mitchell Report:

I guess you can't always rely on size, because Nook Logan has to be the skinniest guy in the entire league. If it turns out Ichiro was on the juice, I quit watching baseball altogether.

The other serious problem with baseball, in my estimation, is the absence of a salary cap. It's simply not good for the game, and I say that not as a fan, but purely from a business perspective. When there are just several perennially dominant teams, there is sizable risk of the erosion of the fanbases of lesser teams, who will simply lose interest in their hometown squads. For example, I have virtually no interest anymore in attending Orioles games unless there's something intriguing to me peripheral to league competition. I just know that we're going to get squashed every year by New York and Boston (and now Tampa), so my enthusiasm is pretty much in the toilet. So as fans, we stop showing up, we stop caring, we stop buying jerseys...pretty soon the whole country is just Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs fans.

So as if there isn't enough already to dislike about baseball, I hope the Yankees enjoy their pyrrhic victory; even if they don't destroy the league, CC Sabathia will eat them all.

No comments:

ShareThis