Saturday, January 24, 2009

Do My Eyes Deceive Me?

My beloved Orioles have finally signed their first Asian player, ensuring that they will not be the last team in the AL East to sign one (now that distinction goes to the Blue Jays). It's two-time Sawamura Award winner Koji Uehara, who apparently is going to start for the O's. Signing Japanese starters is a much dicier proposition than signing Japanese relievers; one inning of strange breaking pitches can be very effective, but it becomes considerably less so the second and third time down the order.

Uehara brings to the table a 90 MPH fastball and about a zillion different breaking pitches, just like all Japanese pitchers. From looking at over two YouTube clips, they have pretty good movement, but the raw arm strength is not that impressive. But where Uehara really shines is his control; over his career in Japan, he logged an absolutely eyepopping 6.7/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio! He's a little bit susceptible to the gopherball, though I think that concern is somewhat overblown. And he's a little long in the tooth.

I think he would be very effective as a middle reliever, but even as a starter, I'm more intrigued with him than all five years of Daniel Cabrera combined. The strikeout rate will drop and America's tighter zone will hurt him a little, but man, you can't argue with 6.7/1. I'm excited to see him play...if his rotation spot falls on June 9-June 11 when the Mariners come to visit Baltimore, and Uehara gets to pitch to Ichiro, I will personally attend and probably wet my pants with joy too.

2 comments:

dg said...

you mean they're not already wet?

Eugene said...

Touché, my friend, touché.

ShareThis