Saturday, January 24, 2009

Furball Update

So after Scooter's Christmas anorexia, he finally started eating on his own again so I took him home. Unfortunately, he started losing weight, fast, and I had to take him back to the vet, who prescribed him medication and fluids. The catch was, the medication and fluids were injection-only, and the course of treatment was 14 days, so I'd have to learn to give the injections (3 per day!) myself.

Now, keep in mind that I HATE needles myself and that I had never given an injection in my life. I was already feeling a little queasy about it when I went in for the demonstration. The vet tech set him down, pinched his skin and stuck the needle in, and he didn't even flinch. Not a peep our of him, just nothing. Relieved, I figured I could do it myself without a problem and that it must not bother him too much.

Well, the time comes for his first injection at home, and I do exactly as the vet tech did. He's sitting pretty still and I pinch his skin and stick in the needle. Then bam! The little guy goes batshit insane, jerking like his back is covered in ants. He jerks so hard that he bends the needle, which slips out and re-inserts itself into my hand. At that point I've decided that I don't care how much it costs to board him for 14 days; I can't ever do this again. So I put the cap back on the syringe...and the bent needle goes right through the plastic and into my finger. Again. I'm now at peace with not becoming a doctor.




No comments:

ShareThis